Friday, February 11, 2011

Is this really as good as I remember?

Sometimes I like listening to the music of my youth. Not that that's too far off, but still, it's nice and different from music being produced today. The other day I came across a song I haven't heard in ages and I found myself thinking what in the world possessed people to make such a bad song?

The song I'm talking about here is 'You Suck' by the Murmurs. For a little trip down memory lane, take look at the video below:


Now, since I have quite a few memories tied to this song (not that I can remember said memories, but I sense they were positive ones), I just can't get over the fact that this song is way out of tune! I mean, come on! What was the record company thinking about when they released this? Back then it wasn't easy getting your record out there. Nowadays anyone can hire a studio and producers to make the worst record ever for not too much money, but back then these things cost a fortune! Well, maybe not the making of the record, but peer 2 peer sharing, torrents, Napster, Limewire - those things were unheard of! So how in the world did a song that's sung mostly off key make it big?

Sure, they're cute and all that, but the lyrics don't make sense to me, the harmonies don't harmonize and the worst part is - I STILL EFFING LIKE THE SONG!!!

Guess that's what you get for growing up in the 90s.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I definitely would have liked it when I was younger if I'd grown up with it. It's the girly vocalists and the "edgy" rebellious lyrics that give it its appeal (not, as you noted, the well-crafted harmonies >_<).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think because the beat is catchy. Even if the tune is off key, you still seem to bob your head in time.

    This is the first time I've actually heard this song, and I found myself humming it later. I was like, "WTF?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the song is catchy, and I suppose you're right in saying that the lyrics were edgy back in 1994 when this was released. I still can't get over the harmonies though... then again, they did make some really strange music back in the 90s.

    I wonder if the song would be as big a hit if it was released now though... Probably a big hit with the indie crowd.

    ReplyDelete